Super High Octane Porchetta
- 1 5-6-pound piece fresh pork belly, skin on
- 1 (trimmed) 2-3-pound boneless, center-cut pork loin
- 3 tablespoons fennel seeds
- 2 tablespoons Ancho Chili Powder (Buy Goya Dried Ancho)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 tbsps. RocketFuel Super High Octane
- Kosher salt
- Put belly skin side down; arrange loin in center. Roll belly around loin so the short ends of the belly meet. If any of the belly or loin overhangs, trim meat. Unroll; set loin aside.
- Toast fennel seeds and Ancho Chili Powder in a small skillet over medium heat until fragrant, about 1 minute. Tip spices into a bowl; let cool. Finely grind spices in a spice mill and transfer to a small bowl, along with the sage, rosemary, garlic and Super High Octane; set fennel mixture aside.
- Assemble Porchetta according to steps 1-5.
- Refrigerate roast, uncovered, for 1-2 days to allow skin to air-dry; pat occasionally with paper towels.
- Let Porchetta sit at room temperature for 2 hours. Preheat oven to 500°F. Season Porchetta with salt. Roast on rack in baking sheet, turning once, for 40 minutes. Reduce heat to 300°F and continue roasting, rotating the pan and turning Porchetta occasionally, until your thermometer inserted into center of meat registers 145°F, 1 1/2-2 hours more. If skin is not yet deep brown and crisp, increase heat to 500°F and roast for 10 minutes more. Let rest for 30 minutes. Using a sharp knife, slice into 1/2" rounds.
- Set belly skin side down. Using a knife, score the belly flesh in a checkerboard pattern 1/3" deep so roast will cook evenly.
- Flip belly skin side up. Using a paring knife, poke dozens of 1/8"-deep holes through skin all over belly. Don't be gentle! Keep poking.
- Using the jagged edge of a meat mallet, pound skin all over for 3 minutes to tenderize, which will help make skin crispy when roasted.
- Turn belly and generously salt both it and loin; rub both with fennel mixture. Arrange loin down middle of belly. Top with orange slices.
- Roll belly around loin; tie crosswise with kitchen twine at 1/2" intervals. Trim twine. Transfer roast to a wire rack set in a rimmed baking sheet.